Monday, June 22, 2009

Fedora Marketing TNG: Project FooBar

Just wanted to keep people posted as to what's going on in Marketing and the outcome of my trip to Westford last week. As many of you know, I've been thinking about what the next steps we need to take in Fedora Marketing should be. I feel that we have come along way in terms of improving process and that we can go even further while also putting a fresh spin on things. For some time there has been discussion of a "Fedora Magazine" concept; this goes back a couple of years. I really liked the idea and it sort of stuck in my mind all these years and I was thinking we can centralize things around that format. I had a few rough ideas for kickstarting this, but mainly my motivations were to solidify policies and process for what content Marketing creates, who we create it for, the content creation schedule, and how we distribute it.

Last week, I went up to Westford to and I met with Mo and Mel and Stephen Smoogen who was in the house for a visit. We ran through a bunch of ideas and goals for Marketing's future and the idea of a Fedora journal/magazine type setup. The results can be found here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Project_FooBar. Mo came up with the name, lol.

There are 5 main goals that we are striving for as you can read on the wiki page. Centralization of Content, well scheduled, recurring and prepared content, design which is consistent with the philosophy of the Design team, standardized "official" feeds for distribution of different forms of content, mechanisms for localization and sharing the media with press or on social news sites.

Feel free to read the wiki page and add/edit, etc. I would like to know what people think of this type of format, and I know people will have many question so I would like those to be voiced now so that we can answer them and make sure we are working to build something that is useful for the community with input from the community.

By the way, here is a screenshot: